Waitress in the Sky

01 August 2008
So Man Vs Clown was doing his favourite albums from each year of his life and how to live it or something. For one of them he chose the Stone Roses debut - What's this got to with R.E.M. you say? Read on..

"I'm deeply indebted to Jon, a fellow writer at my campus paper and co-worker at a summer job, for opening up my ears. He's the one who first mentioned a band called Big Star to me, for example. He also lent me a copy of the first Stone Roses album. My feedback was that the music was pretty good, but Ian Brown couldn't really sing. True, Jon agreed, but that wasn't really the point. Of course it wasn't. The point was that The Stone Roses is one of the greatest debut albums ever. Besides, Brown's- singing may sound lackadaisical (Trust me, it's a word - Jimmy Jangles), but he was once convicted of an air rage incident in which he threatened to cut off a flight attendant's hands with plastic cutlery, so you can't say he's not willing to put in some effort. You know what would be cool? If he and R.E.M. guitarist (and fellow bane of British Airways) Peter Buck recorded a really heavy, aggressive cover of the Replacements' Waitress in the Sky."

Subscribe to the REMurmur RSS Feed!

0 REMarks:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top