REMurmur's REM Greatest Hits

09 May 2008
in time r.e.m. album sleeve cover
I've been writing a lot about R.E.M.'s greatest hits album, In Time, recently. I've noted the arguments about including All the Right Friends on it. I would go even so far as to say there should be arguments about Animal and At My Most Beautiful. And while I'm on it, why The Fly (lyrics) was not on U2's second best of in place of ..... Gone. That was an absence more notable than waking up without the ability to spell U2.

So here's my take at a "Modern Era Best of R.E.M." - No surprises here! I've limited it to 15 songs only. The links take you to the liner notes by Peter Buck that were included on the In Time release

13. Stand
14. Orange Crush
15. Losing My Religion16. Shiny Happy People
17. Drive
18. Man On The Moon
19. Everybody Hurts
21. What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
22. Bang & Blame
23. Strange Currencies
23. E-Bow The Letter
26. The Great Beyond
27. Imitation Of Life
28. Leaving New York
29. Supernatural Superserious

What would your modern era REM best of include?

Subscribe to the REMurmur RSS Feed!

2 REMarks:

Mr. Nice Guy said...

My 15 Post-IRS tracks for "In Time" would be (in no particular order and without the "putting new songs on the album" gimmick):

----

1.) Losing My Religion - I've heard it enough over the last 20 years, but this ain't Dead Letter Office. It goes in. LOL

2.) Texarkana - Out of Time is unduly missing on the REM collection. I could also see "Me & Honey" as an excellent counter. Bill Berry's percussion during the chorus is just jaw-dropping, and Michael Stipe gives a great vocal performance. But the TIPPING point is...You gotta give Mike Mills at least one lead vocal part IMHO.

3.) Stand - See reason #1

4.) "Pop Song '89" followed straight into "Get Up" - Maybe as a single track with no spacing. They HAVE to go together in my mind.

5.) Orange Crush - I don't know what the hell it means either, but when Michael is on the megaphone like a fitness junkie instructing the listener to "Feel the Burn" its just too cool.

6.) Try Not To Breathe - A Beautiful song that captures part of the essence of AFTP, otherwise insert "Drive", if Warner Brothers insisted.

7. Man on the Moon - This song has actually really held up. It hasn't been "Free Bird-ized" to me.

8.) Everybody Hurts - Easy b/c it means so much to so many

9.) What's the Frequency, Kenneth? - It was the lead single off Monster and unveiled the Michael Stipe look to this day. I don't know how many light skinned guys shaved their head before 1994.

10: Star 69 - Monster deserves one more. I don't know why it gets so much crap.

11.) Bittersweet Me - This may be off my favorite post IRS release. New Adventures in Hi-Fi was not what the "newer" fans expected, but who cares. This probably bumps E-Bow, but this fits better for the casual fan.

12.) Electrolite - Peter Buck's liner note explanation is dead on.

13.) The Lifting - Reveal's Opening is one of the strongest in the REM catalog. It seems without Bill Berry, the 3 other "legs of the dog" were more hit and miss. They hit here.

14.) Imitation of Life - It was again the lead single, but I never liked this song; thought it was a little too saccharine. I'd rather put "All the Way to Reno" to be honest.

15.) The Great Beyond - End the "In Time" collection on a high note. I loved this song when it came out in '99. Also sends a message that the perhaps we'll see a 3rd collection. I'm sure REM will be thrilled. My alternate would be "Nightswimming"; either way you close strong.


Bonus Tracks: Everyone has a Deluxe Version these days, so if I could play around off the beaten path:

Bonus Track 1 - "First We Take Manhattan" - Eat your heart out Leonard Cohen!

Track 2 - "Wichita Lineman" from the "Bittersweet Me - EP" ('96). Bonus to me means excitement...Michael Stipe's vocal of this Glen Campbell hit penned by the great Jimmy Webb is worth a dozen rehashed songs REM didn't want to release anyway.

Track 3 - "Fall on Me (Live)" from their official Live Release...I am being purely selfish with this one. This is my favorite song of all time and the band plays it terrific live.

So there you have it. Although I may have taken some liberties, I ask for penance.

Your Humble Narrator,

Ryan

Jimmy Jangles said...

Nice work Ryan! Thanks for sharing your well considered thoughts.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top