Bits and Pieces About Recording REM's Out of Time

27 May 2008
Bits and Pieces About Recording Out of Time

out of time album r.e.m.

One of my fave R.E.M. albums is Out of Time. I think it was the third album I got after Monster (I went backwards getting the back catalog). I knew Shiny Happy People and vaguely knew Losing My Religion. The following year whilst learning to play guitar at university I got Country Feedback down. That is an awesome song.

Anyways here's some bits and pieces of the making and recording of Out of Time.

Some titles that were suggested for it included Imitation Crab Meat, Catt Butt and Trolling for Olives which sounds like a great band name if you ask me. When the band couldn't decide they were pressured by the studio (Warners) for a title - Mike Mills said that were out of time and it stuck.

'Losing My Religion' is a colloquial expression from the South and it means 'fed up'. It reached number 4 on the US charts and was a smash around the world being the first top 20 hit in in the UK Charts since Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

Kate Pierson's favourite song on the album is Me In Honey (she sang 3 songs on the album plus I think the Frettless outtake)

Micheal Stipe recorded Country Feedback in one as a demo which the band kept.

Out of Time knocked off Mariah Carey from the top of the US charts, selling 1.7 million copies in its first two months of release.

Source: Loving Rehashed "Adventures in Hi-Fi: The Complete R.E.M." by Rob Jovanoic and Tim Abott.

0 REMarks:

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top